Do Something Kind for Yourself

I recently read an article that had a great list of  FREE ways to Show Up for yourself and thought I would share it with the rest of you.  I am trying to be diligent about making time to do things for myself and to put myself first.  I am not talking about things that involve intricate plans and logistics or anything, just simple ways to make sure my needs are being met and to make sure my husband and children see that it is important to participate in self care.  They need to see this because they too need to worry about their own self care AND I need to teach my children ways to do so for themselves.

I have an ongoing list of things that I can do to take time for myself and I keep it in my journal.  I also have an ongoing list here on the blog called Show Up, in a tab across the top of the home page.  

When I came across this article, I thought it is another place where all of these ideas are together in a list format, which could be handy for many friends and family members.

Here is a list of my top favorite ways to do something kind for myself.
1. Take a bath.  I use bubble bath for stress relief or to help with sleeping.  I turn out the lights and have candles or at least just a small lamp for dim lighting.  I read my book while I am laying in the warm tub.  It is delightful.
2.  Coloring.  Coloring takes little to no brain power, yet keeps the brain engaged enough that you aren't thinking about the million and one things on your plate.  Crocheting is like coloring for me as well.  They are both mind numbing activities but require just enough thought that they keep my mind off of my stresses and help relax my mind from my anxiety issues.
3.  Have some tea and write in your journal are a tie for third place for me.  I love both of these things and sometimes do them simultaneously!  The tea is relaxing and the writing is too, in it's own way.  I participate in both of these more than the first two if I'm being honest.

Here are a few I'd never thought of and maybe still won't be using too often (or at all):
1. Shave your legs.  I do feel better with shaved legs...when it is summer time and I know I"ll be rocking shorts and a bathing suit often.  Otherwise, this one just doesn't do it for me.  In the winter I could care less and quite frankly am happy that I am not required to keep up with it as often because it is pants weather.
2.  Get a free makeup lesson at the mall.  Another one that just isn't for me.  I never wear makeup and don't really feel like this would be enjoyable or relaxing for me, but I do see how this might be a really nice thing for someone to do for themselves if they are looking to freshen up their look or try something new.
3.  Check out your city calendar for free events.  This one is a great idea and I haven't really done it for myself.  I used to check out the city calendar for events to entertain the kids all the time.  I would think most of these things wouldn't be those that would interest me, as I am most looking for something to do at home or something that will be just a small amount of time, 15-20 minutes.  However, I am going to begin checking this one out because it might be a great way to get a "girl's night" planned in a very inexpensive and sometimes FREE way.  Hey, maybe even a date night could come of this one.  

Please read the attached article in the link at the top of the page and check out some of these ideas for yourself.  If you have good ones that are your go to "treat yourself" plans, share them in the comments section so all of us can try out something new.

I hope if you don't already take time for self care and self love that after you read this post and the article you think more deeply about the importance of putting your own needs first sometimes.  Having enough love for everyone else is a wonderful gift, but forgetting yourself in the process isn't good for anyone.  Blessings friends.

Comments

  1. So glad you figured that out at a much younger age than I did. So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts