What Happens When Illness Hits Your House?

The answer to this question is so different for everyone and this past weekend really got me thinking about what happens to my home when the routine is completely thrown off by one of the key players coming down with some kind of illness.  This time it was what I thought was a cold that came on quickly Friday night.  Fortunately, everyone was pretty much headed in their own directions on Friday, which kept them mostly away from me, because this was way more than a cold.  Within 6 hours of coming down with the sniffles I had the full blown fever, vomiting, headache and body aches that made for a wicked awful weekend for sure.  I was out of commission pretty quickly and Callie was at a friend's house for the night while the boys were watching some Meat Eater show in the living room and I was trying to sleep through the whole ordeal.
This did get me thinking though because my son had an important archery tournament in the morning and my husband had to swing that all by himself, including the waking early, dropping off, packing a lunch and meeting him later at the tournament.  Which he handled like a pro because he IS a pro at being a Dad.  I stayed in bed.
Later that day he had to pick up a friend's daughter and take her home and pick our daughter up after the sleepover.  He also had a bunch of laundry to get through and dinner to make and kids to entertain.  Which he handled like a pro.  I stayed in bed.  Brief trips to the bathroom, but mostly bed.
Then we got an invite to hit up the Cincinnati Cyclones hockey game and although there was no chance for me, I encouraged Jon to take the kids because I knew it would be super fun.  So they geared up and got ready and headed out for a night on the ice.  They met and hugged Twister and the Chik Fil A Cow and were featured on the Jumbo-Tron for Henry's mad dance moves aka the fastest flosser in the wild west.  They had sno cones and fell asleep in the car on the ride home.  Again, all handled like a pro by my husband while I laid in bed.
Sunday was no different, they were up and moving and had to make the meal plan and grocery list and hit up a birthday party that we forgot to shop for until minutes before hand, all on Super Bowl Sunday, Jon's favorite holiday, which he handled like a pro.  I was in bed.
It was truly an act of love getting through this weekend, which was a very full one and our daughter was the best right hand man you could ever hope for in a million years.  She made the lists with her Dad and went shopping to each and every store.  She made sure her brother was good to go to this party and while shopping she didn't forget that Superbowl calls for special things like a shrimp ring and root beer float stuff too.  She did chores and never complained.  She just stepped up in caring for her family and I couldn't have been more proud.
When this photo fell from a book that I was taking off the shelf, it couldn't have been more apropos
That's our little lady at 20 months old with a great big smile and a heart of gold.  There is no way we could have gotten through this weekend without her stepping in to help out a Daddy who is more than professional at getting things done, yet can use the extra feminine details that come with handling the household when the matriarch is staying in bed.

Comments

Popular Posts