Konmari and my Closets


The Konmari method of Tidying Up got every room in the house looking something like this:



Giant piles of all my stuff are located all over my house.  I just wanted you to see the first two clean outs.  On the left is my clothes closet.  On the right is the house linen closet.  I am satisfied with the closet and drawers in my bedroom BUT still felt unsettled by the linen closet at the end of the purge last night.  When I finished, the linen closet looked like this:

It is a marked improvement overall, yet still felt like too much stuff and cluttered to me despite throwing away lots of expired medicines, old lotions and ratty towels and rags.  Something just isn't sitting right with me and this closet.  So, upon further thought on it I realized it is because of the sheer amount of items in this closet.  It is good sized BUT I do not need this many towels.  I found that I was hanging on to them because of the usual, "well what if I've got guests?" or "what if I have a spill?" and then I realized there are 4 of us in the family and right now, on the towel rack there are 4 towels.  If I put any of those in the wash, I just need one to replace each towel.  That means 8 towels TOTAL. There are 9 in this closet and 4 on my towel racks.  13 is a few too many I think.  The closet is at capacity, yet 4 towels are in use currently.  I need to change my way of thinking about my storage overall and this is now the "in process" linen closet picture.  The final product will be here before you know it and YES some more of these towels will be let loose in the RE-Tidying of this closet.  Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular Posts