Hugs and Cuddles


I have not done the research on this just yet.  I do however consider myself a "hugger" and while that can be weird in certain social situations (and I don't always whip it out in all social situations) it is very valuable in others.  I am a grade school reading teacher and I am seeing hundreds upon hundreds of children each and every day.  I work in a district that tries hard to focus on the education of the "whole child" and what this translates to, much of the time, is working to ensure a student feels safe and supported in the school environment and that their basic needs are met.  Some would argue that food and shelter are basic needs school can meet and while we do meet those things, it is about so much more.  
In my school, the child's social and emotional needs are always put at the forefront.  We cannot solve every problem these students have and we may not even be able to touch some of the issues that they are dealing with daily, but I have always been a teacher that gives hugs.  I do not discriminate with hugs and I hug every student that approaches me for one.  It has gotten me some sideways glances at times, but I hug the kids that have no idea who I even am, because if they have the guts to walk up to seemingly a complete stranger and open their arms for a hug, I feel they truly NEED a hug.  Also, I know, even if they don't, that I am a safe person who is not trying to take advantage of them in any way so I am glad they chose me for the hug.  Another thing I try to do as often as possible is to be the last to pull away from that hug.  Some of our children receive very little in the way of physical affection and that 10-20 seconds can be crucial to the development of their day.  I am a hugger and the students in my school know it.

I have personally always been super affectionate and I am needy of affection myself and there is much hugging in my home too.  The kids are huggers and love to snuggle.  I am always hugging my husband who teases me about my need for cuddling.  When I was in the dating world, back in college, I wouldn't ever consider dating someone who was in the military or who planned to travel for work, like a pilot, because I was well aware that I crave affection and attention and I am too needy to be on my own all the time.  It seems silly now, but I have always been aware of how important physical touch and hugging is in my life.  I guess I have raised my own children to need it too.  As they grow and learn and (cough cough vomit) begin to date, I hope I can teach them that affection doesn't always equal love and that there are many other things to look for in a person you want to build a stable relationship with, but it is nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed of and the daily hugs are helpful stress relievers that they can always count on from me.

Comments

Popular Posts